Thursday, September 4, 2008

the tiki...ahh tui's


Vodafone NZ Music Award Nom's dropped today. Tour Of Dirty cohort Tiki is up for every award including Best Album, Best Solo Artist, Best Supporting Actor and Best Fight Scene. Good shit I reckons.

Pretty fair all round. I would of chucked Anika Moa Standing In This Fire or Ladyhawke Back Of The Van in the best song category, but thats just a personal thing. Thought the Nesian brotha's might get a look in with their chart topper Nesian 101 too. Ahh well, your all winners in my books! *tumbleweed*

The category I'm always perplexed with is Breakthrough Artist Of The Year. I think because I don't really understand the definition. I've always thought of it as dudes who came out of nowhere to succeed. Sort of a Rookie Of The Year situation. Tiki and Flight Of The Concords have undoubtedly had breakthrough years in various ways, but I knew who both of them were last century. Then you have someone like Young Sid, who was basically unknown to the mainstream last year, and now is the one of the most popular artist's within New Zealand youth. Ladyhawke and Gin I thought were shoe-ins, but ahh... no. I agree totally with Cut Off Your Hands though.
SIDENOTE: Cut Off Your Hands are good cunts. My boy Michael knew every single word to Lil Jon - Lovers & Friends at the MTV Snow Jam. THE man.

The Hip-Hop Album Of The Year category is tight as. Sid's album was ill, but Scribble is nominated for Best Overall Album too, so if he lost it would be kind of like when Dikembe Mutombo won Defensive Player Of The Year then didn't get in the All-Defensive Team. Just wouldn't make sense really.

Good luck to err'body. I'll be there for sure. Hopefully my man doesn't stop me from entering the after party for being "too intimidating" this year and I don't have to Andrew Mehrtens another gift bag.

No comments: