Sunday, May 24, 2009

Behind The Music (part 4)

04:"Moonlight" (produced by Official)
Moonlight was the very first song we did for Bazooka Kid, and really set the tone of the albums soundscape. Its produced by Official, who also produced the first single off Rookie Card, Just Roll. He had sent a CD to P-Money with like 40 beats, and I skipped through it one day at Pete's and ripped the ones I was feeling off the bat. I liked the contrast between the sparseness of the verses, and the overdriving synths on the chorus. It was really easy to write, I came up with the hook first, and the verses were fairly straight forward as the beat is around 114bpm, right in my flow-comfort-zone. I was listening to Britney Spears' Blackout album at the time, and really wanted a female pop vocal on the track. It's a funny thing in New Zealand though, how the genre we're kind of void of is straight forward pop. So thinking of who to get on the track would become more of a task than I initially thought. I ended up searching the NZ music section of Myspace for artists who had people like Mariah Carey and Gwen Steffani listed as influences, and Zeisha Fremaux popped up. I flicked her a message on her page, and she came and laid the parts in the studio that same week.

That was also the first session I did with Evan, and I was slightly nervous about it. I knew he made Drum n Bass and was a die-hard Metal head at heart, so I didn't know how he'd react to a song like Moonlight. We knocked it out with ease though, and its one of the mixes I like most off the album. The bottom end booms nicely on the right system, especially during the verses.

This song generated a few suspect looks, mainly from the indy-rap/angry-rap flag wavers, but at the same time it has been my most popular song with another group of I have even more love for... women!

No comments: